Monday, November 28, 2011

Yes, I Am Coming Quickly | Rev. 22:20


Yesterday morning Pete, Cade and I attended Johns Creek UMC.  The church building has changed from my wide-eyed days of being a youngster scurrying about trying to get to the delicious foods at the fellowship hall, or searching for my best friend, Anna, or even trying to find my parents between Sunday School, Worship Service, and Discipleship classes.  The small chapel where I was accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior and was baptized isn't used for the primary services anymore, the church members and attendants just wouldn't fit.  The old 3 room nursery section is now used for other things and a whole new building (attached) now houses the nursery, preschool, children's Sunday School, and Youth.  The  auditorium we moved into as a precursor to building a brand new sanctuary is getting it's last full uses in the coming months/year as the ground has now been broken for the once dreamed of Sanctuary for Sunday morning worship.


However, although many things have changed at this church I watched grow and develop (both building and people-wise) as a child and teen, it is still home to some of the most amazing smiling faces I know.  Friends of our family who taught me, cared for me, and allowed me to grow and develop in my walk with Christ.  They are people who shared Christ with me in my youth and helped to support me as I worked at the UGA Wesley Foundation in my college years and before Pete and I were married.  They welcomed my new family (Pete and Cade) with open arms and embraced us as if no time had passed at all since I left home and continued on in God's calling for my life.

But yesterday morning offered much more than a time of reconnection, it was a reminder of our place in this world. To live in it, but not be of it. To walk in the fullness of God's calling on our own individual lives.  To be awake, on the alert for the coming of our Lord.  
In Revelation 22:20, John writes, 

"He who testifies to these things says, 
'Yes, I am coming quickly.' Amen.  Come, Lord Jesus."

As this season of Advent begins, I was reminded to be looking for signs of Christ's coming. To rejoice that He will return and be ready for His coming. For we do not know the time or the place.  We do not know the how's and the why's.  We only know that a promise from God is just that - a promise.  He is true to His word and Jesus will return!

After these things, I looked and behold, 
a great multitude which no one could count, 
from every nation and all tribes and peoples and tongues, 
standing before the throne and before the Lamb... 
and they cry out with a loud voice, saying 
"Salvation to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb."
Revelation 7:9-10

Are we staying awake?  Are we on the alert?  Are we seeking out the signs that He will return, remembering His promise?  Are we sharing with others so that they will be part of the great multitude?

No comments:

Post a Comment